Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Francisco Aragón is in the House...an early post from Olivas

My regular posts will usually be on Monday so I hope that my cyber compadres don't get all mad at me for doing this...pero, I got word the other day that Poetry Daily was featuring the great Latino poet, Francisco Aragón. Aragón's verse has graced the pages of several chapbooks and innumerable literary journals not to mention anthologies published by W.W. Norton, Heyday Books and Soft Skull Press. Aragón is also the founding editor and publisher of Momotombo Press which promotes emerging Latino writers and is housed at the Institute for Latino Studies at the University of Notre Dame where Aragón is a Visiting Fellow. Click the title of this post to read some of Aragón's poetry on Poetry Daily and to learn about his first full-length book of verse, Puerta del Sol (Bilingual Press). You can also read my review of his book on the literary blog, Moorishgirl. Speaking of Moorishgirl, Laila has posted a guest column by Peter Laufer, author of The Case for Opening the Mexican-American Border, sharing his thoughts about the Minuteman Project, "which California’s immigrant governor has recently praised, and which has been denounced by civil rights groups." And finally, the great Luis Rodriguez is interviewed on poeticdiversity. Okay, I'm done. Hasta....

3 comments:

Raymundo Eli Rojas said...

Hey vatos, I recommend Aragon's book.

Raymundo Eli Rojas said...

Well said on Aragon's book. One of the better books of poetry coming out these days. I reviewed it for the El Paso Times pero me chinge with the publisher's name.

So if any of you catch it on the web, it on Bilingual Press and not Arte Publico. I about had a heart attack when I saw that mistake and had to run to my bookshelf and doublecheck the publisher only to find out que si me chinge. My apologies to Francisco.

As for Pluma Fronteriza, we should be releasing out next issue within the next week or two.

Our Libros, Libros will come out a little later. Damn, so much was published within the last 6 months, I was thinking of retiring. Stay tuned.

Manuel Ramos said...

Ray: Some of us have been talking about how there seems to be a surge of new Chicano/a (Latino/a) books, and a growing number of new gente authors. Que bueno. Looking forward to the latest Pluma list so I can keep my TBR pile up-to-date.