Friday, July 31, 2015

Blue Moon Announcements

Melinda Palacio



Tonight, expect a blue moon, a second full moon in the same month. The last blue moon was three years ago and the next one won't happen until 2018. Dip your feet into water and manifest your dreams and goals. My blue moon experience came earlier this week with an email solicitation from the Academy of American Poets. I was surprised to receive a request, asking if I had any unpublished poem, and on the same day, I received an acceptance. I'm calling the news, My Oscar Moment, since the Academy of American Poets will publish one of my poems in their online poem-a-day series in September. For me, this honor only happens once in a blue moon. I would thank the blue moon herself for seeing me standing alone without a dream in my heart. However,  I am not alone and I have plenty of dreams to spare. I certainly thank everyone at La Bloga. Speaking of blue moons, in a few days, I will have dinner with La Bloga's founder, Rudy. It seems as if it's been longer than a blue moon since I've seen Rudy. I will also meet my niece's baby and maybe a few other friends, certainly, my poetry pal Maria. Unfortunately, I will miss the other two Denver blogueros, Manuel y Lydia, who are traveling to places beyond Colorado. My summer travels will also include a train writing residency on Amtrak's Sunset Limited in a few weeks. What will your blue moon bring?


I will be back in California this time next week, just in time to participate in two readings.

August 8 in Ventura:

The Water and Stone Reading Saturday, August 8 at 3pm in PDT, Art City Studios 197 Dubbers Ventura. La Bloga friend, Jessica Ceballos, will also be reading.


August 23 in Ojai:
The Ojai Art Center presents three Latino Poets: Angel Garcia, Melinda Palacio, and Emma Trelles, along with live music by Alas Latina (vocalist Claudia Simone and guitarist Don Cardinali), Sunday August 23 at 2pm, The Ojai Art Center 113 S. Montgomery Ojai-Literary Branch 805-816-4099.  Come for the poetry and music, stay for the food trucks.

In case you missed it...



No comments: